101kms · 90 mins by car
4,196 population (2006 Census)
Avoca Beach Accommodation
Avoca Beach forms part of the predominantly surfing and holiday resort area stretching along residential coastline from The Entrance down to Macmasters Beach.
Situated in a quiet no through road area, it’s wooded hills and white-sandy beaches are a popular destination for Sydney’s wealthy and more discerning holidaymakers.
The emphasis on Avoca Beach and surrounding areas is on relaxation and beach or surf activities.
Avoca Beach stretches between two dominating rocky headlands. While the surf varies from one end to the other to suit the novice or more experienced surfer, it is also ideal for fishing and recreational swimming for all ages. Avoca Beach also features an ocean rock pool near the Surf Life Saving Club, perfect for young children.
Avoca Lake, situated behind the beach, is a peaceful recreational still-water retreat with pleasant walks and picnic areas.
Beachside Markets at Avoca are generally held on the 4th Sunday of each month from 9am -2pm.
Cockrone Lagoon and Macmasters Beach, with popular family spots, reach inland from dense hinterlands to the coast almost reaching the beach.
Copacabana Beach just a few kilometres south of Avoca is another popular patrolled surfing and holiday beach.
Captain Cook Lookout is one of the best on the coast with excellent views south, and north beyond Avoca Beach. It can be accessed by following the beachfront road up to the steep headland known as First Point. This area was first documented by Captain Cook in 1770, when he found the coastline from off-shore was distinguished by three prominent headlands. He imaginatively named them First Point, Second Point (Mourawaring Point at the Southern end of Macmasters Beach), and Third Point (Bombi Point south of Little Beach).
Avoca Art Gallery is situated along Avoca Drive on the way to Kincumber.
The Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club is one of the most predominant and active in the region. It was formed in 1929 after a tragic double drowning at Avoca Beach. The original Clubhouse was built by voluntary labour at a cost of 115 pounds. It has been extended several times since, and now relocated to its present position.
The club held its first surf carnival on New Year's Day, 1930, becoming an annual event for the next 50 years. In addition to surfing events, woodchopping and horse races were also held.
The area was originally occupied by the Awabakel Aborigines. It was first inhabited by white settlers when Irish Army Officer John Moore received the first European land grant in 1830. The 640 acre lot was named Avoca. A house was built on the ridge overlooking Avoca Lake just to the west of the beach, and cereal, fruit and grape crops were planted.
The house was burned down in the 1850’s and the entire lot was leased in the late 19th century to exploit the timber.
Logs were transported to the mill at Terrigal by tram and Tramway Road in North Avoca is part of the old route.
The name Avoca is Celtic for "Great Estuary", or "Where the River meets the sea".
- Avoca Beach
- Bateau Bay
- Cams Wharf
- Canton Beach
- Catherine Hill Bay
- Ettalong Beach
- Forresters Beach
- Hardys Bay
- Lake Macquarie
- Long Jetty
- Norah Head
- Pearl Beach
- Shelly Beach
- The Entrance
- Woy Woy
- Local Town Guide Home
- Visitor Information Home