Central Coast News
Top Travel Health Tips from Providence Medical
With a bit of preparation, you can prevent an illness that could ruin your holiday, or worse!
How can you best prepare health wise for an overseas trip? The doctors at Providence Medical have compiled some top tips and answer common questions to ensure your trip is a safe, healthy and enjoyable one.
Top travel health tips from Providence Medical:
1. See your GP
Get a medical check-up to make sure you are healthy before you travel.
Get up to date with vaccinations
Update your vaccinations and ask about other suitable immunisations.
2. Be prepared
Pack a medical kit for yourself and any children travelling with you. Make sure you pack enough of any medications you need, or take a prescription.
3. Get insured
Organise suitable travel insurance, including cover if you need to be evacuated to a suitable hospital.
4. Watch what you eat and drink
The most common travel-related illnesses are gastrointestinal diseases usually picked up from poorly prepared foods or untreated water. To avoid diarrhoea, stomach pains, nausea and vomiting associated with these illnesses follow below:
- Use boiled or bottled water, or water purifiers or tablets.
- Eat thick-skinned fruit and vegetables that you can peel yourself, such as bananas, oranges and mandarins.
- Make sure food is cooked thoroughly and eat it while it’s hot.
- Ice in drinks.
- Unpasteurised milk and dairy products.
- Fruit and vegetables that have been washed in the local water.
- Street stall food – hotels and busy restaurants are safest.
5. Avoid getting bitten
Some serious infectious diseases such as malaria, yellow fever and dengue fever, are transmitted by insect bites. While there are vaccines and drugs available to help protect against some of these diseases, travellers are advised to always protect against mosquito bites.
- Wear mosquito repellent that contains at least 30 per cent DEET.
- Stay indoors between dusk and dawn. The mosquitoes carrying the malaria parasite generally feed at this time.
- Apply repellent.
- Wear socks, long pants, and long-sleeve shirts when outdoors.
- Use a bed net.
- Stay in air-conditioned, screened accommodation.
What vaccinations will I need?
You may need to arrange vaccinations or medications to protect against diseases such as hepatitis, typhoid or malaria. Some countries legally require travellers to have certain vaccinations, such as yellow fever. Providence Medical store yellow fever on site at our practice for your added convenience.
When do I need to see the doctor?
Be sure to allow plenty of time to visit your doctor as you will need to have some vaccinations weeks or months before travel, it is best to see your doctor six to eight weeks before you depart.
Our doctors at Providence Medical can provide comprehensive travel consultations and can advise you what vaccinations are required for all destinations.
Providence Medical -Your one-stop-shop for all travel health:
- Vaccination and medication requirements.
- Post-travel health screening.
- Yellow fever vaccination onsite.
If you are planning an overseas holiday, it important to visit your GP to discuss your requirements, preferably a month or two prior to your departure.
So, make sure you check in to see a GP before you check out!
Book an appointment now!
Providence Medical Warners Bay
472 The Esplanade, Warners Bay NSW 2282
Providence Medical & Dental, Belmont
Shop 3-6, Belmont Central Shopping Centre, 1 Singleton St, Belmont NSW 2290
Providence Medical Thornton
4 Bunbury St, Thornton NSW 2322
Resources: Better Health Channel
This article archived 10 Jun 2018
270 million people worldwide struggle with drug abuse and a staggering...
Liberal Senator for Western Sydney, Senator the Hon Marise Payne, is pleased...
NSW households and businesses will soon be able to join the community-led...
Women leaders from across the denominations of Australia’s churches an...
The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) is inviting people to get involve...
Everest Team Events
Deluxe Art Gallery
Waters Edge Seafood Restaurant
Toowoon Bay Holiday Park