Central Coast News
Flags up as beach season begins
On Saturday 28 September, the red and yellow flags will be placed in the sand at 15 Central Coast beaches as lifeguards and lifesavers return to patrol to keep our community safe.
Council’s Team Leader Beach Safety, Craig Healy said while our beaches will be supervised, everyone needs to be surf smart.
“You can rest assured that when you visit one of our patrolled beach locations, that you will be in good hands,” Mr Healy said.
“Council’s lifeguards patrol our shorelines from Monday to Friday, and Surf Life Saving volunteers keep everyone safe on weekends and public holidays.
“However, everyone is reminded to be surf smart by swimming between the red and yellow flags.
“Board riders are asked to keep outside the black and white flags on each side of the red and yellow flags, as these indicate the surf craft exclusion zone.”
Until 20 December 2019 all beaches and The Grant McBride Baths will be supervised from 9am to 5pm.
During the busy Christmas holiday period, from 21 December 2019 to 27 January 2020, all locations, including Budgewoi Beach, are patrolled for an extra hour - from 9am to 6pm. Terrigal, Avoca and Umina Beaches will open an hour earlier, from 8am until 6pm.
Beach goers are also reminded to follow these other important safety tips:
- Swim at supervised beaches only
- If you get into difficulty, stay calm, raise your arm and yell for assistance
- Never run or dive into the water, as the depth can change quickly
- Children should always be supervised by an adult
- If you are unsure of the conditions, ask a lifeguard or lifesaver
- Always obey the signs which indicate any hazards present
- Always listen to the lifeguards and lifesavers
- If you’re going rock fishing, plan ahead – wear appropriate gear, let others know where you are going and carry a phone
The Central Coast’s favorite Christmas event TURNS 12 THIS YEAR and returns...
One hundred seniors, including six local Central Coast seniors have shared...
Locals in and around Penrith are rallying for the ‘ladies of the land’...
On Monday 25th November, Physio Connex Performance Clinic will officially...
Rockpool’s Bavarian restaurants serve up a legendary summer menu
Mangrove Mountain Union Church
TreeTop Crazy Rider
Advance Family Dental
Sandy Cove Apartments