Central Coast News
Australian Slang Translated
Blog: Travelling King
Its clear that us Aussies are a lazy bunch, we shorten words or end an “O” to the end of a word, therefore creating our own language! We have compiled a list of Australian Slang to help the world understand us better!
- ambo – Paramedic, Ambulance Officer
- bickie – biscut or cookie
- arvo – afternoon
- bloke – male, guy, boy
- barbie – barbecue or BBQ
- barra – barramundi fish
- bathers / togs / boardies: swimming costume / board shorts
- bludger – Someone who wants something for nothing, person who does not work or works very little
- boys in blue – Police
- dob in – to betray or report someone to the authorities
- budgy smugglers – swimming speedos (not boardshorts)
- Aussie/Ozzy – person from Australia
- ankle biter : small child (to me small annoying chilren)
- bottle-o : liquor store
- bush telly : campfire
- cark it – to die
- cheesed (off) – pissed off /angry
- chook – Chicken
- chuck a wobbly – “throwing” a tantrum
- Chuck a U-ey – Do a U- turn
- dead set –used as an exclamation!
- tinnie – a can of beer or a small aluminium boat
- dead set against it – uncooperative
- do your lolly or nana– to get very angry
- dunny – toilet
- mackas/maccas – McDonalds fast food
- prawn – shrimp
- ranga – person with red hair
- kero – kerosene
- esky – a portable icebox
- fair dinkum – honest; genuine
- full as a goog – full of food after a big meal
- garbo – garbage collector /garbage man
- goon – wine sold inside a bag and cardboard box
- gutful – more than enough “I’ve had a gutful of this”
- hoon – a stupid person or a fast or wreckless driver
- larrikin – mischievous, wild or carefree person
- local rag – local newspaper
- mate – good or best friend (also used to talk to someone when you dont know their name)
- metho – methylated spirits OR strong Alcoholic spirits
- outback – the inland country far away from large cities (most of australia)
- rego – vehicle registration
- roo bar – metal bar fixed to the front of a vehicle to protect it against hitting kangaroos (also known as a bull bar)
- sangers/sanga – sandwiches OR sausages
- servo – a petrol station or gas station
- shonky – poor quality
- shotgun – shout it out when running towards the car and the front passenger seat of a vehicle is reserved for you (as long as you are the first to call it)
- shrapnel – coins of a low denomination
- sickie – a day taken off work, but not necessarily because of illness
- smoko – a break from work, to smoke or just to take a break
- snags / sanga– sausages
- speedo – vehicle speedometer
- yobbo – a loud or stupid uncultivated person
- stubby/stubby holder – a bottle of beer (330ml), holder for beer so you don’t get cold hands
- tall poppy syndrome - a cultural tendency to cut people down to size - criticism people who excel or achieve significantly and are arrogant about it.
- top drop – a good tasting beer or wine
- true blue – genuine
- ute – open backed car or a “pick-up truck”
- wag – to skip school or work
- Billy/Billycan – lightweight cooking pot which is used on a campfire or a camping stove.
- woop woop – out in the middle of no where
- yakka – hard or heavy work
- yonks ago (or yonks and yonks ago) – a long time ago
- swag – a blanket roll of light bedding, great for camping
Follow link to blog!
This article archived 25 Dec 2014
The Art House is honoured to now be the premiere 2021 venue for the brand-new...
The Whitlams have released a new single from their soon to be released...
The 'Swifties' in question are the Swift Parrot and Regent Honeyeater...
Thanks to its bustling vibe, elective wares and great coffee, Long Jetty...
The annual Mental Health Art Works! Exhibition, hosted by local not-for-profit...
TreeTop Crazy Rider
Advance Family Dental
Car Batteries Australia
Sandy Cove Apartments
Mercure Kooindah Waters